-- Grace Elizabeth --

-- Grace Elizabeth --

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Daughter's Walk

I love to read Christian fiction and am always surprised when a book surpasses my expectations . This book by Jane Kirkpatrick is just that kind of book. I have read her books before and have not been disappointed. When I read what this one was about it really intrigued me. What actually transpired throughout the story was so compelling and a look at history in the late 1800's and into the 1900's.

It starts in 1896 when Helga and her daughter Clara accept a wager from the fashion industry to walk from Spokane Washington to New York City. It has to be done in seven months and they will win $10,000 which they need to save the family farm from foreclosure. I thought the book would just detail their walk and what happened along the way, but it was so much more in depth. They were gone a year and when they went back home a lot of things have changed and not good things. Clara decides to leave home and walk on alone, leaving the family home and changing her name. This is where the story really begins-with Clara and her continued journey. She is a risk taker in an era where women did not have many rights or independence.

The story ends in 1942 and how the family separations and forgiveness finally begin and a new chapter begins in Clara's life . I found the author's notes and acknowledgments very insightful into the story and just how this book came about.

This was one enjoyable read and I thank Waterbrook/Multnomah for sending me this book free just for my honest opinion of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment