-- Grace Elizabeth --

-- Grace Elizabeth --

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lady in Waiting

Just finished Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner and it was a superb read. I saw this on the blogger list and did not order it the first time I saw it. The next time I looked for books and there was only one copy of this book left so I thought I would try it and I loved, loved, loved this book!. I received this on Tuesday and just finished it tonight. Usually books don't grab me and keep me reading but this one surely did. What an interesting storyline since this was a real person back in the sixteenth century. The author made it part fiction and part true history in it's storyline. The story centers around two Jane's. The first Jane is married, living in Manhattan and is an antique dealer. The second Jane -Lady Jane Grey lived in the sixteenth century and was born into wealth but also under a dangerous political and religious time in history. Jane acquired items for her store from a British sale and found a beautiful ring in a box with a Latin inscription and the name Jane on the band. She connects with the ring and tries to find out more about the ring and the original owner. This is where the storyline flows-the author goes from present Jane's story for a few chapters then goes to Lady Jane Grey's story for a few chapters. I found this to be a fascinating way to tell both stories. This really held my interest and the story, especially Lady Jane 's story was an amazing tale. Lady Jane's story is told from her dressmaker and friend Lucy Day and how she loves and cares for her. The book is rich with love, disappointment, standing up for your beliefs and choices we make in our lives. I have had The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner in my bookcase and never read it yet, so that's what I will read next and I 'm sure I will like it too.
Thanks to Waterbrook-Multnomah for sending this free book to me for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment